John Hawkins of Townhall asked:
“I’m doing a Townhall column where I’ll honestly, w/out sarcasm, answer liberal questions to conservatives. Any libs want to ask questions?”
He actually wound up writing a second column as well. I enjoyed both very much, but as I was reading, I found myself thinking about how I would respond to those questions if they had been asked of me. So I decided this would be a golden opportunity to provide another perspective from another conservative. There’s nothing wrong with Hawkin’s answers, but I thought it would be fun, and a good writing exercise to answer each one from my point of view, with my additional thoughts, and in a couple places, where we differ.
I realize there is a huge break between the publishing of many of these. I lost interest after a while and moved onto something else, but I still had the drafts so I decided to would fix them up a bit and finish the series.
This is the index to those questions and my responses.
- Do Republicans honestly believe voter fraud is a real issue?
- Why are conservatives anti-progress?
- How can a Christian deny Arab child refugees?
- Why do so many people say Trump isn’t racist?
- Doesn’t President Trump alarm you?
- How does one square pro-life and anti-welfare?
- If conservatives believed in the marketplace of ideas, wouldn’t they want everyone to vote?
- Why are conservatives against an investigation of Donald Trump’s Russian ties?
- What is up with the obsession some conservatives have with cuckoldry?
- Why don’t conservatives care about climate change and the future?
- What is the conservative view of Trump’s infrastructure plan?
- What would President Trump have to do for me to turn against him?
- Do you still believe Trump’s business conflicts won’t be a problem?
- Why do Conservatives only trust media that flatters current admin?
- Why should we allow Bannon to wield power and influence?
- How can a conservative square funding for the wall?
- Does it bother you that rich people have the same wealth as the bottom half of the world population?
- Why do conservatives assume that black people’s views on society are a result of brainwashing?
- Is there any point at which the electoral college/popular vote split would become a concern?
- Why are you more comfortable with banning foreigners than banning assault weapons?
- Why Are You Afraid of Muslims?
- Why don’t women deserve equal pay for equal work?
- Why don’t conservatives utter the phrase “voting rights”?
- Why do conservatives have a problem mixing smaller government and a competent government?
- Are you at all concerned that Trump is undermining our national security?
- Will GOP Congress or Trump admin consider a basic universal income?
- Can we make grand compromises?
- Do you believe Trump will significantly revive the manufacturing industry?
- Why doesn’t character matter to you anymore?
- At what point do you cease advocating tax cuts?
- Why is the religious freedom of an anti-LGBT baker more important than that of a Muslim soldier or physician?
- Do you think Christian refugees are more deserving of American assistance than non-Christian refugees?
- How do conservatives square 8 yrs of calling Obama a tyrant while supporting an actual tyrant?
- Why do you think a lot of conservatives are so receptive to stern father types on cable news and talk radio?
- Why do you hate helping people?