3. If you’re a Christian how do you reconcile Good Samaritan/Sermon of the Mount with Trump denying Arab children safe passage?
Let me start by saying there’s going to be a little speculation here, but I’m not going to base my position on one or two passages of Scripture tossed out like a mic drop. While there are several passages that speak of treating foreigners well, there are also passages that infer wariness and caution.
First, God did not treat all foreigners the same. The most obvious, and the most controversial example, is God’s order to essentially exterminate the Canaanites. The wickedness of the Canaanites reached such a level that He used the nation of Israel to execute justice on every man, woman, and child. It should also be noted that this was not a rash decision. He actually waited 400 years before He decided it was time.
Second, God created the NATION of Israel. He set for them, specific laws that made them different from the surrounding nations, and He expected the Law to be followed. Sojourners did not have the same rights as the Israelites, despite the command to treat them with respect. If they did become part of the nation, they were expected to assimilate in ALL ways, i.e., follow the Law. Likewise, I see nothing wrong with expecting people who come here to be American citizens (legally), to assimilate to American culture.
Reading history indicates that immigrants coming to America have always tried to assimilate and become Americans. This phenomenon of the last twenty years or so, where immigrants come to America expect us to assimilate to them is foolish. Israel did that and was punished by God. We’re going to do that, and get punished by Islam.
Children are not the only age group looking for asylum. Unfortunately, the actions of adult refugees are hurting the safe passage of children. Simply Google ‘europe no go zones youtube’ and you’ll find plenty of reasons why so many people are not interested in helping people from the Arab countries: violence against women, violence in general, no-go zones, and not just a refusal to integrate but an insistence that we adopt their culture.
Other questions that need to be asked are, are the children traveling alone? Are they orphans? Where will they go? There needs to be a vetting process, and it appears that what vetting process there is, is substandard. Donald Trump’s TEMPORARY travel ban is supposed to address the vetting process.
Perhaps the most tragic thing of all, is that there is a good chance those children that do come here, will not adopt our culture either, but that of their parents, and they will grow into part of the problem.
- Why did God condone such terrible violence in the Old Testament?. GotQuestions.org.
- What the Bible says about illegal immigration. WND.
- A Biblical Perspective on Immigration Policy. Center for Immigration Studies – Low-immigration, Pro-immigrant.
- The Use and Abuse of the Bible in the Immigration Debate. Center for Immigration Studies – Low-immigration, Pro-immigrant.
- Journalist Investigating Rape Epidemic in Sweden Beaten By Migrants Speaking Arabic. Townhall.
- What percentage of Muslims approve of radical Islam and terrorism?. Wintery Knight.
- European ‘No-Go’ Zones: Fact or Fiction? Part 1: France. Gatestone Institute.
- European ‘No-Go’ Zones: Fact or Fiction? Part 2: Britain. Gatestone Institute.
- Germany’s Migrant Rape Crisis Spirals out of Control. Gatestone Institute.