The illegal immigration problem falls squarely in the lap of Democrats. The laws are clear that illegal immigration is a crime, but Democrats, primarily, have been aiding and abetting these criminals for years. Hundreds of people have died attempting to cross the border. They try to blame it on tightening security along the border, but the bigger problem is the hope on the US side.
- Death in the desert: The dangerous trek between Mexico and Arizona (Al Jazeera America)
- ‘Death map’ of deserts aims to save lives of desperate Mexican migrants (US news – The Guardian)
They can get jobs. There are US citizens who will hire them, despite knowing they are here illegally. They hire them for the work “no one wants to do” and they pay them less than minimum wage. Generally I’m all about keeping down the cost of doing business, but I’m against breaking the law to do it.
There’s a good chance they won’t be sent back to where they came from. Democrat run sanctuary cities won’t arrest them, and at times, have even let them go after committing crimes. Democrats actively try to skirt the law, because of “compassion.” Don’t worry about the law, we’ll fix that. We’ll ignore the parts we don’t like.
It’s the fault of Democrats who allow illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses, attend public education, vote in some towns, and they even hold office in one town!
It is the fault of Democrats because they refuse to differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants.
Amnesty won’t stop the flow of people dying in the desert between Mexico and the US. If anything, it will only encourage more people to try and make it.
People didn’t just start complaining about the illegal immigration problem in the last couple of years; they’ve been complaining for years and no one has been taking them seriously. The laws are there, but law enforcement has gotten lax. It’s finally come to a head. I would argue that’s one of the reasons Trump was elected over Hillary. It has nothing to do with xenophobia: “a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries1,” and everything to do with the law and the burden placed on society. People watch the news and see illegal immigrants getting better treatment than many of our actual citizens.
- Cost of Unlawful Immigrants to the U.S. Taxpayers (The Heritage Foundation)
- Welfare Use by Legal and Illegal Immigrant Households (Center for Immigration Studies)
It is time to deter people from illegally coming to, or remaining, in the US. Right off the top of my head, I can think of five places to start:
- Pull federal funding from sanctuary cities
- Pull federal funding from colleges and school districts that allow illegal immigrants to attend
- Fine, heavily, companies that hire illegal immigrants
- Arrest people for aiding and abetting illegal immigrants
- Deport illegal immigrants
I know. I’ve heard the Christian argument about taking care of the foreigner, but let me remind you of what else the Bible has to say:
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. ~Romans 13:1-2 (ESV)
How does one reconcile following the law and taking care of foreigners? Simple. Differentiate between the legal and the illegal. It’s called discernment; another Christian principle.
For more information on Illegal Immigration:
- Illegal Immigration is a Crime (Federation for American Immigration Reform)
- The Myth of the “Otherwise Law-Abiding” Illegal Alien (Center for Immigration Studies)
- Immigration, Law, and the Bible
- What Does the Bible Say About Borders?
- On Immigration
- The Deportation of Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos
- Illegal Immigration: Yes, Punishment Is Fair
- How can a conservative square funding for the wall?