Hate Speech and the First Amendment
31 May 2017
A lot of people think hate speech is not protected by the First Amendment, but it is. Unfortunately, so is their ignorant speech.
Actually, I think protecting “hate” speech is the reason the First Amendment exists in the first place. The very idea is to protect unpopular speech from government harassment and censorship, especially since a lot of what qualifies as hate speech these days, isn’t, and needs saying more often. For example:
Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven.
They keep using the word “hate,” but it doesn’t mean what they think it means.Share on:
- Does it bother you that rich people have the same wealth as the bottom half of the world population?
- Why should we allow Bannon to wield power and influence?
- Why do Conservatives only trust media that flatters current admin?
- Do you still believe Trump's business conflicts won't be a problem?
- What would President Trump have to do for me to turn against him?
Comments powered by Talkyard.